Monday, April 14, 2014

Week 8-9: Presidents and Emperors

Even with spring break being over, there still seems to be a general lack of people on campus.

The major thing that happened and is worth sharing is that I've changed my final paper topic again, and it will probably make some people mad. I'm going to compare a US president to a Roman emperor in terms of how their image was created by social media. The first idea was to compare Obama to Nero and Nixon to Domitian. Professor Kendall and I discussed which presidents to use and which were least likely to incite a riot...because you know, avoiding riots is usually better for everyone involved. To this end, Professor Kendall and I changed the Obama/Nero comparison to Obama and Augustus. This gives me the opportunity to focus on public language in propaganda which is all around better. I'm writing the first draft now. Yeah, that's what my weeks are now: writing, reading, class, writing.

The afternoon class moved past the Renaissance and onto the Enlightenment, and the reading for that time period was Montesquieu and Gibbon. Both were about the fall of Rome. The morning class studied "the five good emperors," Nerva, Trajan, Hadrian, Antoninus Pius, and Marcus Aurelius. The term "five good emperors" was coined by Gibbon oddly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment